[GRASS-dev] d.extend in gui

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Thu Jun 14 20:17:49 EDT 2007

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007, Hamish wrote:

> The mention of -d reminds me that g.region (or anything else) still
> lacks a way to reset the DEFAULT_WIND region. When creating new location
> from EPSG code the default region is just set to 0,1,0,1 IIRC. I'm not
> sure what happens if you create a new location from a datafile with
> r.in.gdal/v.in.ogr. Hopefully it sets the default region to match that
> map's region, but I'm not sure if it does or not.

It does. See set_gdal_region() and set_ogr_region() in
general/g.proj/input.c, which are clones of the relevant code from
r.in.gdal and v.in.ogr. Guessing at the resolution to use when we only
have a vector map to work on is still a problem though.

The case with EPSG code could be made less harsh by popping up a window
with the pre-selected values and asking the user to verify them as part of
the location creation process. I.e. run g.proj and let it save its default
region data, then read the region back in with g.region, ask the user
to verify it and save it back with the g.region -s flag.

I've mentioned this before but I really think there should be a GUI region
setting widget with all the functionality of the old interactive
curses-based g.region. Someone was complaining recently that there should
be a quick resolution adjust facility in the GUI monitor displays - I
think that would be a hack but a button to access the interactive region
setting widget, with further buttons there to save the region as the
active display region or the mapset working region etc. would be very
useful IMHO.

Paul