[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] Use of coefbh and coefdh in r.sun

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 16:36:59 EDT 2007

On Monday 25 June 2007 12:27, José Antonio Ruiz Arias wrote:
> Hi Dylan,

Hi, thanks for the comments!

> I will expose what I modestly think about.
>
> 1. does (1-coefbh)=coefdh? No.
> I think you are confusing the clear-sky indices for the direct and diffuse
> components with the direct and diffuse fractions. These latter are both
> referred to the total global radiation coming into the ground so that,
> considering the reflected component negligible, the addition of the direct
> and diffuse fractions are always the unity.

ok- this makes sense.

> In turn, the clear-sky index
> for the direct horizontal component (coefbh) is the fraction of direct
> component attenuated by the clouds, that is, the ratio of direct beam
> horizontal radiation under overcast-skies to the direct beam horizontal
> radiation under clear-skies. The same is applied to the diffuse component.

It sounds like in order to use 'real-sky' estimates I would need more than a
pyranometer- as I would need to measure diffuse and beam components on both
clear AND cloudy days... ?

> 2. does coefdh correspond to the notion of the 'diffuse fraction' which is
> commonly calculated via something called the 'clearness index' ? I think I
> have answered above.

Ok, it sounds like my proposed method was in error.

In this case, Kt (see named attachment) and the derived Kd (see attachment) -
are describing the diffuse fraction of total radiance? Values which cannot be
used for the coefdh and coefbh inputs to r.sun.

Would it be possible to disaggregate my pyranometer data in this way- giving
my the real irradiance on the ground, compute the clear sky radiance at the
same location with r.sun, and then compute the ratio of the two in order to
get coefdh / coefbh ?

> My personal opinion is that the best approach consists on using a more or
> less approximated turbidity coefficient of Linke (a climatological value
> could be the easiest choice) to get the clear-sky estimation (r.sun) and
> then use the ground global radiation measurement (supposing you have it,
> obviously) to correct the clear-sky estimation provided by r.sun. This
> approach can be also applied to both, the diffuse and direct components of
> the radiation. The problem with the components is the seldom availability
> of measurements.

This was my initial goal, and seemed to work fairly well. I was able to
compute T_L values accurately during the summer based on my pyranometer data,
but there were not enough clear days in the 11yr history to compute realistic
T_L values in winter months. Using a 15% diffuse fraction estimate for the
entire year seemed to yield data which followed the 11yr mean values quite
well.... However, I was hoping to avoid a static diffuse fraction- and make
better use of the pyranometer data for the computation of 'real-sky'
conditions. This may not be possible...?

> I hope to have cleared I little the question
> José A.

Yes, thanks for the tips

Cheers,

Dylan