[GRASS-dev] Mac xterm wrapper problem with wxgrass

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Jun 25 23:48:58 EDT 2007

Ah, that sort of hang.  I gave it a try, and it looks like the
'osascript' I use is not exiting (use Activity Monitor and show All
Processes Hierarchically, and you can see it under Python).  Quitting
osascript (no need to force quit it) returns to Python.

And I verified that setting GRASS_XTERM=xterm, d.rast.edit does
return control to Python.

hmmm....

Ah, that's got it!  I was saving the name of the application that
initiates grass-xterm-wrapper so I could activate it when it
finishes, otherwise the Terminal is left active.  While X11/TclTk
seems to be OK with this, Python is not.  For some reason it stalls
between closing the Terminal window and activating Python.

For now I disabled the reactivation of the calling app until I can
figure out how to get Python to like it.  In CVS now.

On Jun 25, 2007, at 9:53 PM, Michael Barton wrote:

> Oops. I spoke too soon. It still hangs.
>
> Here is what I'm doing to test it. I start r.digit from the wxgrass
> menu. It
> launches an xmonitor and terminal properly. Then I hit return to
> cancel. The
> program shuts down, but I get a spinning beach ball with the
> wxgrass GUI,
> and have to force quite wxPython.
>
> Michael
>

> On 6/25/07 6:51 PM, "William Kyngesburye" <woklist at kyngchaos.com>
> wrote:

>>> I don't think this is a real problem. On other systems, you can
>>> only have
>>> one GRASS session running at a time.
>>
>> Actually, I think you can.  Just not more than one in the same
>> mapset.
>>
>> -----
>> William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos*at*kyngchaos*dot*com>
>> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>>
>> "Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those
>> least suited to do it."
>>
>> - A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy

> Director of Graduate Studies
> Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
> Arizona State University
>
> phone: 480-965-6213
> fax: 480-965-7671

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no
particular pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is
over. That is my duty."

"Don't you even hate 'em?"

"What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people
of the allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating
the ____ it wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."

<Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."

- Tarzan, on war