[GRASS-dev] grass classification routines and small / large numbers

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 13:33:03 EDT 2007

Hi,

I have found that using the GRASS classification modules work well when the
inputs come from discreet (0-255) distributions- for example landsat
channels, etc. - however I seem to get a lot of singularity problems, or maps
with a single class when using floating point values of different magnitude.
I am imagining that this is due to scaling issues - and perhaps badly
behaving algorithms when input variables are both very small and very large.
I have found that when using clustering approaches in R, it is possible to
pre-standardize the input data, which usually results in much more
interpretable results. Are there any particular gotchas associated with the
GRASS modules which one should be wary of ?

I am mainly asking to avoid the memory limitations of R- loading 6-8 large
grids usually fills the available memory.

Cheers,

--
Dylan Beaudette
University of California at Davis