[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] Compiling grass 6.2.1: i.class error

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Mar 14 18:30:38 EDT 2007

Helena Mitasova wrote:

> >> It's used by xganim, which is still compiled if you use --with-motif.
> >
> > I was under the impression that xganim would be going away.
>
> PLEASE, PLEASE do not remove xganim before there is an equaly
> easy to use, fast replacement. I don't know about any other other tool
> for visually analyzing outputs of dynamic models (easily 20-50 rasters),
> especially when you are looking for a problem in data or algorithm.

There's no reason to remove xganim; it works, and it doesn't depend
upon anything which is likely to change in the near future.

OTOH, I'm not aware of anything in xganim which couldn't be done as
easily (and quickly) by a script which combines r.out.ppm, pnmcat, and
mplayer.

> Same for r.digit - it provides a simple and fast tool to create for
> example
>   raster mask and similar tasks - that is much simpler than doing
> v.digit and v.to.rast.

The graphics architecture on which r.digit depends is likely to
eventually be changed such that r.digit ceases to work (i.e.
R_get_location_with_* are slated for removal). r.digit is simple
enough that a replacement wouldn't be particularly involved, although
the lack of one wouldn't necessarily prevent r.digit's removal.

I'm not sure what r.digit can do that GIMP + r.in.ppm can't.

> We have already removed site format making some tasks that were
> easy to do much more difficult or even impossible, without making sure
> that the new vector format offers the same capabilities so
> let us not repeat the same mistake,

We don't have the manpower to both perform all desired upgrades to the
underlying infrastructure *and* update everything which relies upon
existing behaviour, so something has to give.