[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] Compiling grass 6.2.1: i.class error

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 16 01:58:47 EDT 2007

Glynn:
> OTOH, I'm not aware of anything in xganim which couldn't be done as
> easily (and quickly) by a script which combines r.out.ppm, pnmcat, and
> mplayer.

what about the tcl replacement for xganim you already hacked together?
  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.devel/9710

Helena:
> > Same for r.digit - it provides a simple and fast tool to create for
> > example raster mask and similar tasks - that is much simpler than
> > doing v.digit and v.to.rast.

r.digit is good for drawing blobs over raster maps (eg photo imagery)

Glynn:
> The graphics architecture on which r.digit depends is likely to
> eventually be changed such that r.digit ceases to work (i.e.
> R_get_location_with_* are slated for removal). r.digit is simple
> enough that a replacement wouldn't be particularly involved, although
> the lack of one wouldn't necessarily prevent r.digit's removal.

Something called "r.digit" is easily done (famous last words) with GUI
toolkit of your choice + r.in.poly. The r.in.poly ascii format is close
enough to the v.in.ascii standard format, that if v.digit moved to
creating new maps using v.in.ascii, it's trivial to hit a switch to
output as a raster map instead, thus merging the two digitzation
modules.

> I'm not sure what r.digit can do that GIMP + r.in.ppm can't.

seamless georeferencing? not a PITA to use? Set cat + label for each new
feature?

Hamish