[GRASS-dev] Re: init.sh OSX browser setting

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu Mar 15 00:35:18 EDT 2007

On Mar 14, 2007, at 11:00 PM, Hamish wrote:

> William Kyngesburye wrote:
>>
>> I'm wondering, since it would make OSX an extra-special case as far
>> as it concerns users customizing which browser to use for help files
>> (it would be by name or app signature, not by executable path), and
>> considering the above features of Help Viewer, if forcing Help Viewer
>> as the only GRASS_HTML_BROWSER for OSX is acceptable?
>
> Why not contiunue to allow a custom GRASS_HTML_BROWSER, only if that
> isn't set at startup have init.sh set the default to the Help Viewer?
>
> init.sh's default web browser code is already behind a
>  if [ ! "$GRASS_HTML_BROWSER" ] ; then
>    ... moz, konq, etc
>  fi
>
> so just keep the OSX Help Viewer setup within that check??
> Forcing the Help Viewer without a way out isn't so nice.

It was just a thought.  Though there is the complexity issue - some
developers may question the extra tests and mess.

If you want to simplify the patch I sent, you could remove the
browser-by-name bits.  Then only app signatures would work, and we
wouldn't have to add a test for all known browsers and figure out
their signatures (let the user figure out signatures).

> Is "/Applications" different for non-English language installs?

Hmm...  good question.  I would guess always /Applications since it's
the GUI that localized.  And you create Installer packages with fixed
paths.  Is 'nix localized at that level?  ie localized bin/lib/
include/... ?

> other business:
>
> Shall [ "`uname -s`" = "Darwin" ] replace:
>   [ "$HOSTTYPE" = "macintosh" -o "$HOSTTYPE" = "powermac" \
>     -o "$HOSTTYPE" = "powerpc" ]
> ?

Yes.  Darwin covers all Mac OS X versions and architectures.

> Lorenzo wrote:
>> $HOSTTYPE var has different output in:
>> PowerPc 10.2.x	-->	macintosh
>> PowerPc 10.3.x	-->	powermac
>> PowerPc 10.4.x	-->	powerpc
>> MacIntel 10.4.x	-->	intel-pc
>>
>> Best option is:	uname -s
>> The output is:	Darwin
>> always in any processor, in any OS X version, I think
>
> (currently init.sh doesn't know about MacIntel)

I'm not sure how Mac Intel comes out as "intel-pc".  'pc' is just
wrong already.  And this was what I found odd - for me (MacBook)
HOSTTYPE produces "powerpc".

So, as above, unsame -s is the way to go.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

[Trillian]  What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed
robot?

[Marvin]  You think you have problems?  What are you supposed to do
if you ARE a maniacally depressed robot?  No, don't try and answer,
I'm 50,000 times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the
answer...

- HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy