[GRASS-dev] Re: init.sh OSX browser setting

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 15 00:00:11 EDT 2007

William Kyngesburye wrote:

> I'm wondering, since it would make OSX an extra-special case as far
> as it concerns users customizing which browser to use for help files
> (it would be by name or app signature, not by executable path), and
> considering the above features of Help Viewer, if forcing Help Viewer
> as the only GRASS_HTML_BROWSER for OSX is acceptable?

Why not contiunue to allow a custom GRASS_HTML_BROWSER, only if that
isn't set at startup have init.sh set the default to the Help Viewer?

init.sh's default web browser code is already behind a
 if [ ! "$GRASS_HTML_BROWSER" ] ; then
   ... moz, konq, etc
 fi

so just keep the OSX Help Viewer setup within that check??
Forcing the Help Viewer without a way out isn't so nice.

Is "/Applications" different for non-English language installs?

other business:

Shall [ "`uname -s`" = "Darwin" ] replace:
  [ "$HOSTTYPE" = "macintosh" -o "$HOSTTYPE" = "powermac" \
    -o "$HOSTTYPE" = "powerpc" ]
?

Lorenzo wrote:
> $HOSTTYPE var has different output in:
> PowerPc 10.2.x	-->	macintosh
> PowerPc 10.3.x	-->	powermac
> PowerPc 10.4.x	-->	powerpc
> MacIntel 10.4.x	-->	intel-pc
>
> Best option is:	uname -s
> The output is:	Darwin
> always in any processor, in any OS X version, I think

(currently init.sh doesn't know about MacIntel)

Package specific stuff for OSX, e.g.:
   if [ "$HOSTTYPE" = "macintosh" ] ; then
      if [ -d "/usr/local/grasslib" ]; then
            GRASS_TCLSH=/usr/local/grasslib/bin/tclsh
      else

needs to be removed from the CVS init.sh. That should be patched back in
by packagers.

Hamish