[GRASS-dev] Re: init.sh OSX browser setting

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Mar 14 21:23:43 EDT 2007

So, in working out the details for the Mac OS X GRASS_HTML_BROWSER
changes needed, I also found that the Apple Help Viewer not only
works nicely for viewing GRASS help, but can enable GRASS help to be
viewed system-wide.  That is, without running GRASS, open Help Viewer
(ie from the Finder Help->Mac Help, or from any other application)
and GRASS would be in the Library menu.

Another nice feature is that Help Viewer also sees help files in the
user's home folder.  I've been working on isolating the GRASS
binaries from user-installed addons, because in OSX it's not a good
idea to alter installed apps directly.  I have bin/ and lib/ extras
worked out, and have an idea for etc/, but doc/ is troublesome.  It's
difficult to dynamically access the help files in a user's home
folder.  With help viewer it's automatic, though still separated from
the main GRASS help, but easily accessible.

Also, there is a builtin search feature.

And, for those extrnal html links, the user's browser choice IS used.

The 'open' change must be done, since that's technically a bug,
though latent and probably rare.

I'm wondering, since it would make OSX an extra-special case as far
as it concerns users customizing which browser to use for help files
(it would be by name or app signature, not by executable path), and
considering the above features of Help Viewer, if forcing Help Viewer
as the only GRASS_HTML_BROWSER for OSX is acceptable?  (For the
complexity of changes needed, consider a couple lines in init.sh to
force it vs. a couple dozen extra lines plus explaining that in the
help.)

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those
least suited to do it."

- A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy