[GRASS-dev] Re: Can't Read NLCD 2001 Erdas imagine files

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Mar 21 13:34:52 EDT 2007

Paul Van Deusen wrote:
> Never mind.  I answered my own question.  I am using Fedora Core 6 and
> the standard gdal rpm.
> Apparently the rpm was not compiled with the Erdas imagine format.  I
> downloaded the source
> code from the gdal home page, compiled it, and now I can read the 2001
> nlcd files.
>
> Posssibly, its left out of the standard FC6 rpm because the Erdas
> Imagine format is considered to be proprietary.
> This begs the question as to why a Federal agency is making data
> available in a proprietary format.

Paul,

Could you email me a "gdalinfo --formats" listing from the FC6 rpm version
of GDAL?  I understand that it is being distributed without EPSG support
files, geotiff and possible other things depending on this coordinate
system support.  If this is true I consider these rpms badly broken, and
best ignored.   No doubt they will bring great disrepute on GDAL in the
months and years to come.

Best regards,