[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASSGUI] changing data for parser

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Mar 22 10:44:45 EDT 2007

Daniel Calvelo wrote:

> I've added guisection output to the XML generation in parser.c. While
> looking for other weirdnesses in the different output formats, I came
> across ->descriptions. So far, only --script makes use of them, and
> I've grepped through vector/ raster/ and scripts/ and found that only
> the following use it:
>
> v.category
> v.clean
> v.drape
> v.to.db
> r.colors
>
> For completeness sake, I would add ->descriptions handling in all of
> HTML (where I think it is the most useful), tcltk and xml output, but
> I wonder... Is there any chance of ->descriptions being more used?
> Maybe add something in SUBMITTING and SUBMITTING_SCRIPTS?

I only discovered that they existed when I compared the XML and Tcl/Tk
code in response to this thread. The fact that --script actually
outputs them is an artifact of simply dumping every field of
"struct Option".

Note that G_parser() splits the ->descriptions field into individual
entries and stores the result in the ->descs field. The --help, XML
and HTML output all use that field. The Tcl/Tk code doesn't, though.