[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] Problem with slope modeling .

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 26 21:21:11 EDT 2007

Michael Barton wrote:
> I assume you copied me on this reply for the 'profiler notes'.

right.

> > profiler notes:
> > - y-scale is ranged to max/min of map, not max/min of profile?
> >   ($elevrange from r.univar instead of r.profile in
> >   gis.m/profile.tcl) Not sure which is best. Both ways have some
> >   merit.
>
> Good thought. I don't know which is better. Currently, it tries to get
> max and min from the displayed area of the map so that all profiles
> will be to the same scale. eg., for cutting and pasting comparisons.
> However, I can also see the merit of making the scale dependent on the
> max and min of the profile itself. Which do you think is better?

ah, ok. I was picturing more a "r.info -r" range vs. r.univar range of
the current region (map window). It makes sense to scale it to the data
in the current map window. I'm happy to keep it this way for now. Maybe
allow dynamic scaling control from a tick box in the profiler GUI?

> > - it would be possible to add a title like "Profile for $mapname" at
> >   the top of the profile. Is there demand for this? Better to have
> >   it in the window title than on the plot itself?
>
> This could be done. But would it clutter up the profile display too
> much (i.e., with breaklines)?

no breaklines, just three words of text placed some distance above the
x-axis label. Alternatively rotate the mapname 90 deg CCW and use as the
(currently missing) y-axis label.

For a real y-axis label I think we need to add a new (optional) "units"
element to the raster format (e.g. in cell_misc/).

Hamish