[GRASS-dev] discussion: replacing ps.map

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Mar 28 18:25:40 EDT 2007

Moritz Lennert wrote:

> >> My first preference is to enhance the graphics architecture so that
> >> d.* commands can generate PostScript. But this requires some
> >> fundamental architectural changes which can't happen in the 6.x
> >> timeframe.
>
> Well, can't we start a 7.x branch now for experimenting such fundamental
> changes ? I think this is probably the most important (and necessary)
> change to GRASS for the near future and we should go ahead with it.

The problem with making fundamental changes on a branch is that you
can't generally merge any fixes between old and new code. Also, an
"experimental" branch probably wouldn't get sufficient exposure, with
the risk that people don't start voicing any objections until you've
invested a lot of effort.

I think that we need to get 6.3 to a "stable" state (i.e. where 6.2 is
now), and have developers migrate en-masse to 7.x. Most developers
will only actively use one branch, and I don't think that we can
afford to split the relatively small number of developers between
multiple branches.