[GRASS-dev] Access of remote Mysql database ?

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed May 2 05:18:14 EDT 2007

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 10:40:54AM +0200, "Peter Löwe" wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> the problem I am dealing seems currently not to be covered in the manuals:

(so we should document it once figured out)

> How to hook up a remote mysql-database which requires a login ?
>
> There is a mysql-database "the_database" with a table "the_table" on a remote computer "dbserver.foo.org", which can be accessed by a db-user  "joshua" (password: swordfish).
>
> The goal is to establish a layer 2 link between this table (let the column be "id") similar to:
>
> v.db.connect -o map=my_map   table=the_table layer=2 key=id driver=mysql database="host=dbserver.foo.org,dbname=the_database" key=id
>
> Unfortunately db.login does not provide means to enter a remote server.

db.login is not responible for that. This would be done with db.connect:

g.manual db.connect
-> MySQL (external server)

Does that example not work for you?

If you just want to connect the individual map, v.db.connect should be right.
Indeed, an example is missing. Please tell us once you have a working
solution.

Markus