[GRASS-dev] [grass-code R][382] v.colors wish

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 02:36:31 EDT 2007

[cc from the wish tracker]
http://wald.intevation.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=188&aid=382&group_id=21
> code R item #382, was opened at 2007-04-25 22:35
> Submitted By: Markus Neteler (markusn)
..

Date: 2007-05-03 18:31
Sender: Hamish

> A v.colors module (script?)

It is hard to do (efficiently) inside a script alone, as you
need to do some math to interpolate between the rule values for
each data point.

Suggestion: r.what.colors could be expanded to include a
colors=/rules= option to query the color for some value= based
on a predefined rules file instead of a raster map? Then you feed
all the values to be queried to r.what.colors via stdin, and get
a nice list of RRR:GGG:BBB to give to v.db.update.

Instead of v.db.update, write the SQL update statements to a $TMP
file (with ";" at each EOL) then use a single call to db.execute input=,
as this will be much much faster. (see v.in.garmin)

Hamish

ps- this would be really cool for "snail trail" plots
for a geolocated time series of vector point data.

(I have a matlab[/octave] script somewhere that does this
interpolation already, for this same purpose)