[GRASS-dev] ps.map: raster always under vector map?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun May 6 05:53:49 EDT 2007

Hamish wrote:

> > Alternatively, masking could be enabled only if the raster isn't the
> > bottom-most layer (it used to always be drawn first, but presumably
> > that has been changed).
>
> AFAICT raster is still always drawn first.

In which case, there wouldn't be any point in having masked rasters.

I'm presuming that Markus tried this in conjunction with your previous
suggestion:

> easy modification (in C) for a one-off job--
>
> in ps/ps.map/ps_map.c move this down a few lines, ie after both calls to
> do_vectors():
>
>     /* do the raster stuff, if any */
>     if (PS.do_raster || grp.do_group) PS_raster_plot();

Obviously, that's no good for general use. AFAICT, the only real
solution would be to render things in the order in which they appear
in the input file.

But that would probably a rather significant change to the structure
of ps.map. I'm not sure that the effort would be worthwhile; it would
be better (IMHO) to work on getting better PostScript output from d.*
commands.

FWIW, what are the main advantages of ps.map over using the PS driver
and d.* commands?