[GRASS-dev] access to wingrass binaries

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Sun May 6 20:15:11 EDT 2007

Hello Moritz

On Mon, 7 May 2007, Moritz Lennert wrote:

> Any feedback on whether this "package" works as it should / as expected by
> users is more than welcome.

I haven't tried this one but did give the last one a try and it seemed to
work OK. I just tried command-line usage (grass63 -text) as the computer I
was using it on didn't have Tcl/TK installed. I think we should be able to
include Tcl and Tk libraries in the binary distribution too actually, to
reduce compatibility issues and make it *really* easy to install.

> I also imagine that if we want to make this more official, we need to add
> licensing information, including for all the binaries that come from
> Paul's package of dependencies. I added a short note at the end of the
> readme, but this is surely insufficient. At least we should give the
> respective web links. Paul, could you give me the list ? Also, should
> these libraries maybe be updated to their latest versions ?

Funnily enough I was just working on that yesterday. I've put an updated
version of wingrass-extralibs.tar.gz up on www.stjohnspoint.co.uk/grass
now. There you will also find build instructions with weblinks. Most of it
is public domain or BSD-style licensed I think; perhaps one or two
packages are GPL. This time the XDR library is compiled statically to work
around the problems we had with database connections. Also FFTW and
Freetype libraries are included for the first time. Things still aren't
perfect (i.e. compiling is not as straightforward as it should be) but it
all seems to work.

Paul