[GRASS-dev] iconv a required dependency for using Freetype?

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon May 7 22:34:44 EDT 2007

Glynn Clements wrote:

> I don't think that maintaining compatibility is all that important.
> The original freetypecap format is something which Huidae made up on
> the spot.

more over, it contained hardcoded values and paths with no actual
relevance to the local machine. (the given font dir didn't exist in
Debian)

> and the encoding field isn't actually used.

then lets remove it before we get bug reports about it not working.

[...]
> Here's my proposal: don't bother maintaining compatibility with the
> current freetypecap format or the ability to select fonts by absolute
> path. Both of those were made up on the spot without any real
> consideration.

The ability to select TTF fonts by absolute path is a nice foolproof
feature. It doesn't depend on every one of the intermediary layers
working 100% to succeed. (e.g. freefontcap created on a binary
packager's system which has a different font set to the user's)

Hamish