[GRASS-dev] Re: Not universal building on Mac

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed May 9 14:01:38 EDT 2007

On May 9, 2007, at 11:01 AM, massimo di stefano wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i have the same problem (nviz crash)
>
> to avoid any conflict with other libraries that i've installed on
> my mac  (intel machine)
> i formatted the HD
> i installed osx on it
>  Xcode and GCC
> now i'm tring to buid grass on a fresh osx 10.4.9 installation
>
> (so i'm sure that there is not external library or
> somethink like fink-darwinports environment that can be a possible
> conflict)

A little extreme, but a good test ^_^

> to install grass as first step,
> i installed the tcltk library (8.14) from source as suggested in
> the readme file.
> then i tried to configure grass63-cvs =
>

> cvs downoad ...
> cd ../grass6
> make distclean
>
> ./configure --prefix=/Applications --enable-macosx-app --enable-sysv
> --with-x
> --with-opengl=x11
> --x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include/
> --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib/

These are larks - unnecessary.  The X11 checks should work
automatically on a clean system, but these options may help when
there are problems in configure on dirty systems.

--with-opengl-libs=/usr/X11R6/lib should be the only option needed.
Without it, the opengl checks might accidentally find the OSX version
of the opengl libs, not the X11 version, and this may be what is
confusing NVIZ and causing the crash.

> --with-python

I haven't tried building with the internal python interface yet, and
I don't think it has anything to do with the wxpython GUI, but I
could be wrong.

> --enable-largefile

I think this one is automatic, so there's no need to explicitly set it.

> export TCLTKPREFIX=/usr/local/tcltk/
>
> make
>
> sudo make install
>
> .configure  give me not errors
> idem with  make
> butr try to use nviz ... it crash!

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.