[GRASS-dev] iconv a required dependency for using Freetype?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu May 10 08:39:18 EDT 2007

Glynn Clements wrote:

> > I wonder if something like this is what Michael had in mind when we
> > started this whole discussion - a simple list of all the avaiable fonts
> > that could be offered to the user to choose from through the GUI?
>
> You can get that from "d.font -l".
>
> Although, ultimately the raster API should be extended with e.g.
> R_list_fonts(); that would eliminate the possibility of mismatch
> between the driver's view of which fonts are available and the
> client's. In particular, built-in PostScript fonts would only be
> available through the PS driver.

I've added R_font_list().

This currently returns the list of fonts from the freetypecap file;
I'm not sure whether to extend it to include the stroke fonts, or
whether those will get added to freetypecap file soon.

I've also changed "d.font -l" to use this function, so we don't have
to re-write multiple freetypecap parsers if the format changes.

Future enhancement: add an option to return complete information
rather than just the name (e.g. "d.font -L"). But I'll leave that
until things have settled down a bit.