[GRASS-dev] Re: not quite there on fonts

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun May 13 07:24:57 EDT 2007

Michael Barton wrote:
> This because all d.* commands (i.e., those that can be run
> non-interactively) are treated conceptually by the TclTk GUI in the
> same way they are treated in an xmon, as something that shows up in a
> graphics window. A profile is the one exception, since I had to
> rebuild that completely in TclTk (as d.profile is an interactive
> module that can't be displayed in a TclTk canvas.
>
> However, you'll be interested to learn that I've already done
> histogramming in exactly the way you suggest for the new wxPython GUI.
> It seemed to me also that it makes more sense to treat a histogram in
> a way that is visually different from a map. So it appears in its own
> window. I'd like to set the background, but it seems that it won't
> take any background color (I've tried various ways to do this,
> including GRASS_BACKGROUNDCOLOR and nothing changes the white
> background).

I think custom GUI windows are the way to go for non-overlay graphics,
but if you really want full screen non-map graphics in a standard GIS
display window, some ideas/guesses how to set the background color:

* set GRASS_TRANSPARENT var to be TRUE, then use wxPy to color the
canvas before loading the g.pnmcomp image.

* as the first layer use d.graph to create a filled polygon from 0-100%

Hamish