[GRASS-dev] Re: writing msys capable grass63 startup script

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Sun May 20 19:24:44 EDT 2007

On Mon, May 21, 2007 00:33, Paul Kelly wrote:
> On Mon, 21 May 2007, Moritz Lennert wrote:
>
> [...]
>>> In saying all that I've find the command-line WinGRASS you get by
>>> running
>>> "grass63.bat -text" (i.e. using cmd.exe instead of sh.exe as the shell)
>>> really quite usable so far.
>>
>> Yes, but this doesn't allow you to execute any scripts, whereas msys
>> does.
>> But yes, whether they actually work is another question...
>
> It works for me. What error messages are you getting or what's the problem
> exactly?

I just noticed that the path to the msys shell was not correctly defined,
and that was why they did not execute...duh.

> Actually though you need to make sure you have the Msys bin and
> MinGW bin and lib directories in your PATH, maybe that's it? That's
> something else I've glossed over and should have mentioned, sorry. Need to
> look into that further (Msys documentation perhaps???)

Setting the path variable works great. I now get scripts to actually work,
using msys' shell tools ! I'll add this to the README of the wingrass
package.

> : I'd originally
> hoped that if you started the Msys shell it would insert its needed
> directories into the PATH automatically, but that doesn't seem to happen
> and I never got round to extending the .bat script-launching system to do
> any path manipulation because, to do that elegantly we need to look at
> documentation for other Windows ports of bourne shell interpreters and see
> how they handle being launched in this way, specifically path-related
> issues.

Although I agree that we should try to aim for as general as possible,
shouldn't we start by getting winGRASS working nicely with msys as a
requirement and then slowly work away from that ? Or do you fear that this
will make us too lazy and not solve the real issues from the start ?

Moritz