[GRASS-dev] GEM Wizard question

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Mon May 21 03:31:47 EDT 2007

I guess it wouldn't be too much trouble. GEM already has all that's
needed for this: zipped extension packages can be downloaded (using
wget), unzipped (to system's temp dir) and installed automatically.
There is just one catch: since all files are installed into system-wide
locations, the wizard will probably need superuser rights. So a tcl/tk
based install wizard needs to provide a way to get the superuser
password and run system commands with elevated rights.

It would be a cool thing to have, I agree.

Ben

Yann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Would it be possible to create a kind of Wizard to assist
> download/install of extensions with GEM?
>
> 1-locate GEM enabled extensions (http://wiki...)
> 2-Download in ~/tmp
> 3-run gem on it
>
> Yann

Benjamin Ducke, M.A.
Archäoinformatik
(Archaeoinformation Science)
Institut für Ur- und Frühgeschichte
(Inst. of Prehistoric and Historic Archaeology)
Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel
Johanna-Mestorf-Straße 2-6
D 24098 Kiel
Germany