[GRASS-dev] GRASS and QGIS on Win32, testing etc.

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Mon May 21 16:40:08 EDT 2007

On Mon, 21 May 2007, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> Cygwin is the old, stopgap method to get GRASS running in some way under
>> windows. However, it is difficult to install, especially on lab machines and
>> often conflicts with Byzantine Windows security measures. I believe the
>> Cygwin is being maintained, but not being actively developed.
>
> There's nothing to "develop".

Yes, just to re-iterate that point - I've been using GRASS on Cygwin for
years (not recently though) and it is stable and full-featured. Have also
introduced several non-Unix users to GRASS through Cygwin. In my
experience though if people are scared of Unix, they won't like it. But
it's a very viable option for using GRASS on Windows.

Paul