[GRASS-dev] GEM Wizard question

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Tue May 22 11:13:23 EDT 2007

Since my time to work on GEM is very limited at the moment (basically none):

As far as menu entries are concerned, I'd opt for doing from the ground
up with the new wxPython GUI and just leave it the way it is for gis.m.
The ideal solution would be a directory-based inclusion mechanism: if a
directory exists in a certain place, then it will be scanned for menu
entries to add to the extensions menu.

HTML pages: with a built-in HTML Python widget, we could easily solve
the issue of global vs. local indices. For now, I'd just skip the HTML
installation and let users locate the manpages themselves.

Now, the only remaining question is where to store all extension files
(by default). We need a directory that work cross-platform (or at least
a unified way to figure out a user home directory on all supported
platforms; possible as a new function in the C API).

Michael Barton wrote:

> On 5/22/07 12:01 AM, "Benjamin Ducke" <benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Actually, it's not much of a problem to introduce a new default and/or
>> optional install prefix in GEM. The real trouble lies in two different
>> areas, as far as I can think of right now:
>>
>> 1. The HTML man pages for the newly installed modules should be
>> integrated into main HTML index. Currently, GEM manipulates the main
>> HTML index in the install dir to do so. Of course, this requires
>> superuser rights. The ideal solution would be to have a placeholder in
>> the global HTML frontpage that will point to a subindex page present in
>> the user's local extension directory. No idea how to do that in HTML
>>
>> 2. Many people like to have new GUI menu entries in gis.m when they
>> install additional modules. This means that gis.m has to be prepared to
>> look for additional menu entries in the current user's extension
>> directory. This should not be too hard to do.
>>
>> In principle, I agree that it would be much better to have locally
>> installed extension. This could simplify the logics behing GEM a lot,
>> too. It would also be possible to keep both the global and local
>> installation schemes side-by-side, as a system-wide extension management
>> would probably also have its merits.
>>
>> Benjamin
>
> Why not try to solve these issues one at a time. Having a simple way to
> create, install, and manage extensions would be a real plus and could
> stimulate use of the GEM system. IMHO, we should focus on getting this right
> and worry about the help files and menus a bit later.
>
> To make life easier, why not simply keep the html help files with the
> extensions and have all extensions, by default, look for help files in the
> default extensions directory? Also, people can manually look at help files
> if they are in an easily accessible directory. A bit of an inconvenience,
> but users will be installing extensions of their choice and will have some
> idea of what they want.
>
> I'm a big fan of GUI's and having commands listed on a menu so you don't
> have to remember them. BUT, getting extensions listed on the existing GUI
> menu system is a pain. To get the rest of the system in general operation,
> maybe just skip this. Since any extension will be installed by a user, who
> presumably will know what she/he installed, calling one or two from the
> command line won't be that much of a burden.
>
> We can then think about better ways to get extensions into the menu. The
> menu system is being rethought anyway with the switch to wxPython, so we
> could design it with the possibility of extensions in mind if they become
> widely used and the details of how and where to install them get ironed out.
> For example, the menu could simply have an empty place holder for
> extensions. A menu-building function could then scan the default extensions
> directory to see if a menu file exists and use it to fill in the
> [...]

Benjamin Ducke, M.A.
Archäoinformatik
(Archaeoinformation Science)
Institut für Ur- und Frühgeschichte
(Inst. of Prehistoric and Historic Archaeology)
Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel
Johanna-Mestorf-Straße 2-6
D 24098 Kiel
Germany