[GRASS-dev] GEM Wizard question

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue May 22 11:46:28 EDT 2007

On May 22, 2007, at 10:13 AM, Benjamin Ducke wrote:

> Now, the only remaining question is where to store all extension files
> (by default). We need a directory that work cross-platform (or at
> least
> a unified way to figure out a user home directory on all supported
> platforms; possible as a new function in the C API).

I'd prefer something that is appropriate for the platform.  ie the /
Library/GRASS and ~/Library/GRASS I'm using for the OSX app build.

The simple way to solve the choice is to use env vars, like the rest
of GRASS.  That way the mechanism is there and the user or packager
can decide what is appropriate, and the user can add to it at runtime
if needed. (I set some user dirs in the OSX app startup script,
before init.sh is run, to handle this)

Note - there is a libgis function to get a user's home: G_home().  It
should work on all platforms (it has a mingw special case, but maybe
it doesn't work on the Win native build?).  It would be handy to have
a command equivalent to use in scripts, like g.home.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

First Pogril: Why is life like sticking your head in a bucket filled
with hyena offal?
Second Pogril: I don't know.  Why IS life like sticking your head in
a bucket filled with hyena offal?
First Pogril: I don't know either.  Wretched, isn't it?

-HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy