[GRASS-dev] v.prune with Douglas-Peucker

Markus Metz markus_metz at gmx.de
Tue May 22 11:25:01 EDT 2007

Maciej Sieczka wrote:
> Markus Metz wrote:
>

>> The real problem is that the old pruning method
>> produces funny results and doesn't work in latlon.
>>

> I've run into this too. Have you browsed the grass-dev archives?

Yes, there the problem has been reported before and it was suggested to
use the Douglas-Peucker algorithm. I needed a line simplification tool
now, so I implemented this algorithm.
>> Sorry for the long answer!
>>

> No problem. Maybe your effort may contribute to the recently started
> GRASS Google SOC project dedicated to vector generalisation tools for
> GRASS (see recent archives)?

I've seen that post.Daniel Bundala wants to write complete GRASS Modules
for line generalization and smoothing. Final evaluation deadline is
August 31, and I needed a routine now. I would like to contribute to
vector generalisation tools for GRASS, but I'm not a programmer, and
Daniel might very well come up with better code. Nevertheless, if
anybody wants a line/boundary simplification tool, it is available
through my first post.

Markus