[GRASS-dev] Startup error ( Mac os X)

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Tue May 29 10:56:41 EDT 2007

Hello Maximilian

On Tue, 29 May 2007, Maximilian Maldacker wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> when starting grass freshly compiled from CVS I get the following warning :
>
> Warning: location <<UNKNOWN>> at GISDBASE </Users/maxime959/Documents/
> grass/grass63/bin.i686-apple-darwin8.9.1> is not a directory or does not
> exist

Your GISDBASE value looks wrong. GISDBASE is short for "GIS Database",
i.e. the directory where all your GRASS data is stored in a hierarchy of
locations. So GISDBASE should be set (in either the text-oriented or
Tcl/Tk GUI) to the directory where you have untarred the spearfish
location (which in general should be somewhere separate in your filesystem
from the GRASS source code, so you don't delete it by accident and can use
it with different versions of GRASS etc.). It may also help to delete the
.grassrc6 file from your home directory and try again (or even edit it to
include the correct values).

Hope this is some help.

Paul