[GRASS-dev] trying to test error trapping for invalid gisdbase, location, and mapset

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue May 29 12:17:57 EDT 2007

William,

I¹m trying to test error trapping code for the GRASS startup that will
gracefully deal with invalid .grassrc6 settings for gisdbase, location, or
mapset.

When I try to test this (i.e., with a bad setting), I get a shell error
before I even hit the gis_set.tcl file.

ERROR: LOCATION << /Users/Shared/grassdata/nothing >> not available
/Users/Shared/grassdata/nothing/PERMANENT/.gislock: No such file or
directory
ERROR: /Applications/Grass/GRASS-6.3.app/Contents/Resources/etc/lock:
cmbarton is currently running GRASS in selected mapset (file
/Users/Shared/grassdata/nothing/PERMANENT/.gislock found). Concurrent use
not allowed.
logout

I can find this the code for this in init.sh and am wondering if it is in
the script that launches the Mac app? I need to disable it to test the TclTk
(and wxPython) code. If not Mac specific, can someone tell me where this
code is?

Rather than simply raising an error, which would be meaningless to someone
who doesn¹t know what a .grassrc6 file is, it would be better if an invalid
setting branched the GRASS startup to the prompt that comes up when
gisdbase, location, or mapset is not set‹allowing a user to choose a valid
value.

Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University