[GRASS-dev] trying to test error trapping for invalid gisdbase, location, and mapset

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue May 29 13:26:14 EDT 2007

Hi William,

I've always had a problem error message with an invalid database or
location, and not be shunted to the GUI (or text) entry for new values.

I tried to check this this morning by entering an invalid file name into the
gisdbase field in .grassrc6 and only got the error message I sent. Nothing
else.

Michael

On 5/29/07 10:16 AM, "William Kyngesburye" <woklist at kyngchaos.com> wrote:

> lib/gis/location.c/G_location_path(void)
>
> called from a couple places in libgis and g.mapsets, but I don't know
> how it fits into init.sh.
>
>> Rather than simply raising an error, which would be meaningless to
>> someone who doesn¹t know what a .grassrc6 file is, it would be
>> better if an invalid setting branched the GRASS startup to the
>> prompt that comes up when gisdbase, location, or mapset is not set‹
>> allowing a user to choose a valid value.
>>
> I'm not sure how it's broken.  For me, an invalid mapset works as it
> should - it shows an error and brings up the select mapset (GUI or
> text) dialog.  I tried it for when the whole database path is
> invalid, when the location is invalid, and when just the mapset is
> invalid.  The only errors I get are "LOCATION << ... >> not
> available" or "MAPSET ... not found".
>
> The only things that are run in the OSX startup (and for the .app
> startup only, not with a basic unix build) are a couple scripts to
> build the addon help index and menu files, and they don't need a
> GRASS session or run any GRASS commands.

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671