[GRASS-dev] [grass-code R][413] On the fly reprojecting

grass-coder at wald.intevation.org grass-coder at wald.intevation.org
Wed May 30 07:46:04 EDT 2007

code R item #413, was opened at 2007-05-30 13:46
Issue status: None
GRASS component: display
Operating system: all
Operating system version:

Initial Comment:
As one having started using gis through arcview, one feature I am missing badly in grass is the possibility of on-the-fly reprojecting of data. I.e. I have a database in one projection (in arc it has to be in lat lon) but when producing map, I define a projection for the map and have the data reprojected when they are displayed.

My idea would be to have a projection defined with a monitor or a ps.map project, then to use proj to reproject the data during display.

A quite serious amount of my mapping work is to make small scale maps of various areas around the arctic, then I feels like making more sense to have one set of base maps that is reprojected when used rather than to have one map for each area of interest.

as usual, it may be that I have overlooked some functionallity....