[GRASS-dev] WinGRASS curses issue

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Nov 1 08:28:41 EDT 2007

On Wed, October 31, 2007 16:28, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Benjamin Ducke wrote:
>
>> I just noticed another, more severe problem on Windows:
>>
>> I can only use ESC key sequences in the first interactive text input
>> window. When I progress to the next one, they don't work
>> anymore. This means that I cannot create a new location
>> from scratch under WinGRASS, because I can exit the
>> first screen (the one asking for names) with ESC+ENTER,
>> but the next one (the one for setting the default region)
>> does not interpret EST+ENTER correctly anymore, meaning
>> I can only quit it with CTRL+C!
>>
>> This happens with my GRASS binaries and Moritz'
>
> That would appear to be a problem with the curses implementation.
>
> The Esc-Enter behaviour is part of the vask library (V_call(), in
> lib/vask/V_call.c). If it works in some cases and not others, I'm not
> sure what can be done.

I've just had a look at lib/init/set_data.c and don't really see what the
problem is. A clue we have is that ESC-ENTER works in the first screen,
but not in the region definition screen. In terms of code, the only
immediate difference between the two I see is that the first is
constructed directly in set_data.c, including the V_call(), whereas the
second is called with E_edit_cellhd(&window, -1), so the actual screen
construction and V_call() are in lib/edit/edit_cellhd.c. Could that make
any difference ?

I'll try to add some debug code, but first have to understand how to best
do that in the vask environment.

Moritz