[GRASS-dev] Wingrass and TclTk

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Thu Nov 1 12:11:42 EDT 2007

Michael Barton wrote:
> This would be excellent. It is much easier for students in my upcoming class
> to install and possibly much easier for computer lab managers to get their
> heads around.

Especially since it does not require any admin rights (or indeed a local
install). You can run it from your usb pendrive and need not to work
around the MS certified admins ...

> Michael
>

> On 11/1/07 1:41 AM, "Benjamin Ducke" <benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de> wrote:
>
>> Michael Barton wrote:
>>> I'd argue for something between these positions.
>>>
>>> I'd stick to just a GRASS installation to keep it simple and relatively
>>> small. But, I'd really recommend that there is the option of a SINGLE
>>> installation package for users. Most of the Windows users I deal with are
>>> intimidated by a package that they download and then find out that they have
>>> to go somewhere else and install something different just to use the first
>>> package.
>>>
>>> So can we include TclTk and Mysys, if needed, in a single package that
>>> allows all of GRASS to run?
>> Yes, we can.
>> I will put together such a "complete" package including these and other
>> useful things for GRASS that are currently in the add-on repository.
>> That would also include my own GRASS extensions and r.cva (which finally
>> seems to run OK on Windows).
>>
>> We will then have an all-in-one package for novice users and Moritz can
>> still provide a bare-bones version for people that need or want it lean.
>>
>> I think this should make everyone happy.
>>
>> Benjamin

> Director of Graduate Studies
> Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
> Arizona State University
>
> phone: 480-965-6213
> fax: 480-965-7671

Benjamin Ducke, M.A.
Archäoinformatik
(Archaeoinformation Science)
Institut für Ur- und Frühgeschichte
(Inst. of Prehistoric and Historic Archaeology)
Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel
Johanna-Mestorf-Straße 2-6
D 24098 Kiel
Germany