wingrass: launching gui and shell [was: Re: [GRASS-dev] Wingrass and TclTk]

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Nov 5 07:30:45 EST 2007

On 02/11/07 03:58, Glynn Clements wrote:

> We may be able to solve the problem by providing our own shortcuts
> which start in the user's home directory (I *think* that you can use
> environment variables in that field).

I just tried with %USERPROFILE% and it works.
So can I assume that links are portable between machines (they are
binaries) ? If yes, I'll just include a standard link into the
distribution, inviting people to copy it to the desktop. This link can
also be configured to minimize the cmd window which would solve that
problem.

> If the user starts GRASS from an existing console, they probably don't
> want to change the current directory.
>
>>> Nice also to finally get rid of this empty and useless cmd.exe window we
>>> had before.
>> Do you mean with the changes the init.bat script is exiting/abandoning
>> after starting gis.m? The whole point of it staying running (and as a
>> side-effect keeping a command prompt Window open - I don't know how to
>> hide that but I presume it's possible)
>
> The "start" command has a flag to hide the console window.

That is what Benjamin and I suggested to use. However, Paul is right
that we currenly need a cmd session to remain open in order to do the
clean up work at the end. And whichever way I turn the issue, I haven't
been able to find a satisfying solution, yet. For more details, see
towards the end of
http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2007-November/033889.html - from
"Yes. I had forgotten about all that")

Moritz