wingrass: launching gui and shell [was: Re: [GRASS-dev] Wingrass and TclTk]

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Nov 5 08:44:06 EST 2007

Moritz Lennert wrote:

> > We may be able to solve the problem by providing our own shortcuts
> > which start in the user's home directory (I *think* that you can use
> > environment variables in that field).
>
> I just tried with %USERPROFILE% and it works.
> So can I assume that links are portable between machines (they are
> binaries) ?

I believe so.

> If yes, I'll just include a standard link into the
> distribution, inviting people to copy it to the desktop. This link can
> also be configured to minimize the cmd window which would solve that
> problem.

The GUI should probably be started via a .bat file which uses the
"start" command with the option to hide the console window. The
console window won't appear unless something is written to
stdout/stderr (and they aren't redirected).

> > The "start" command has a flag to hide the console window.
>
> That is what Benjamin and I suggested to use. However, Paul is right
> that we currenly need a cmd session to remain open in order to do the
> clean up work at the end. And whichever way I turn the issue, I haven't
> been able to find a satisfying solution, yet. For more details, see
> towards the end of
> http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2007-November/033889.html - from
> "Yes. I had forgotten about all that")

Is it not possible to "start" a batch file which runs gis.m in the
foreground then deletes the files when it terminates? Or does that
still open a console window?