[GRASS-dev] RE: [GRASS-user] Re: Call for documentation help

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Nov 9 09:10:03 EST 2007

On 09/11/07 04:27, Hamish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a bit out of the loop and don't know what is going on for translations of
> the help pages .. the task seems to me too huge + a moving target to worry
> about doing formally with our available peoplepower. They'd always be a little
> out of date.

I agree, but I think that even a man page slightly out of date can be of
use to someone who really doesn't understand the English version.

> I don't know how AltaVista feels about live linking, but on the wiki I've added
> experimental links to the Babelfish translator for the 6.3 online help pages:
>
>   http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/Updating_GRASS_Documentation#Translations

Nice idea, with some interesting results (e.g. postscript becomes
post-scriptum in the French version and - my favourite - GEM becomes
"Directeur De Prolongements d'HERBE", meaning something like the
director for the extension of grass/herbs ;-)).

One more serious issue though: the different options to commands are
also translated, making them more or less useless:

v.clean [ -b] entré=outil nomméde rendement= de nom[type=corde
[,corde... ] ][erreur=nom ]=corde[,corde... ]
[battez=flotteur[,flotteur... ] ] [ - -recouvrez] [ - -bavard] [ -
-tranquillité]

and the choice of tools:

outil=string[,corde... ]
     Outil de nettoyage
     Options : coupure, rupture, rmdangle, chdangle, rmbridge, chbridge,
rmdupl, rmdac, bpol, pruneau, rmarea, rmline, rmsa
     coupure: lignes de coupure à chaque intersection
     rupture: lignes instantanées au sommet dans le seuil
     rmdangle: enlevez balance, seuil ignoré si < 0
     chdangle: changez le type de frontière balancent pour rayer, seuil
ignoré si < 0, input line type is ignored

[...]

Moritz