[GRASS-dev] select issue with wingrass

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Nov 9 13:19:33 EST 2007

On 11/9/07 11:04 AM, "Moritz Lennert" <mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:

> On 09/11/07 16:25, Michael Barton wrote:

>> This is a help. I'm going to try to get a student in my lab to try it too.
>
> Please also try it with the spearfish demo location.

Did this.

>>> How are you creating the points ?
>>
>> v.in.db. We are using a dbf file that we've created in OpenOffice (to avoid
>> Excel issues). It certainly looks perfectly good.
>
> It is quite probable that this will probably not work because of the
> current bug in the dbf driver. Although AFAICT this should not cause a
> windows dll error...
>
> Could you try creating an sqlite table with the same data and use
> v.in.db on that ?
> You have to make sure that the sqlite executable (and I think library)
> are in your path.
> You can set the PATH in the grass63.bat file:
> set PATH=%PATH%;PathToSqliteBin;PathToSqliteLib

Can do that. But the issue is simply trying create points from a DBF. This
is important for my teaching next semester too. Insisting that students try
to figure out SQLite isn't very feasible.

I thought that the dbf error was fixed. If not, it is good to know that
v.in.db doesn't work currently. We can just use v.in.ascii instead.

>>> Haven't used gdal import for a while in wingrass, so will test that.

Got this dealt with. Interestingly, trying to import a file with an
incorrect format with v.in.ascii gives the same error as trying to import a
dbf file with v.in db, using dbf format. I don't know if this helps debug,
but maybe it is a clue.

>>> Have you tried setting this ?
>>
>> How would we go about setting this?
>

> Try setting it in the grass63.bat file:
>
> set GDAL_DATA=

You mean leave this blank/empty? Or do you mean to point this variable to a
valid location?

> But is this a GRASS variable or a GDAL variable ?

I have absolutely no idea.

> Moritz

Thanks for the help.

Michael