[GRASS-dev] select issue with wingrass

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Sat Nov 10 06:31:57 EST 2007

On Sat, November 10, 2007 07:33, Michael Barton wrote:
> Moritz,
>
> At least some of this was solved this afternoon by my very enterprising
> RA.
> It turns out that Javi was following the installation directions too
> closely.
>
> He simply opened the zip file (in WinZip I think), and dragged the grass
> folder onto his C: drive.
>
> This won't produce a complete working GRASS (though very confusing, it
> will
> produce an ALMOST working GRASS).
>
> Isaac, had Javi reinstall by expanding EVERYTHING in the zip file into C:.
> Apparently, there are some hidden files that also need to get onto the C:
> drive, and that don't get there by just dragging the grass folder from zip
> file.
>
> Ultimately, the most reliable thing, I guess, would be to create a
> self-extracting archive (*.exe). But maybe you understand what when wrong
> (I
> still don't know what is missing with the other installation method).

I don't either. I tried both and the size of the two directories is
exactly the same. And I don't see the error. Can Javie reproduce the
problems by reinstalling via dragging from the zip ? Or maybe it was just
something that went wrong during the install...

> Still haven't tested everything, but the file selection and some other
> things work now (as of 3pm when I had to leave the lab). Hope to find out
> if
> v.in.db works too.

Ok, keep me posted. If it still causes problems, let me know (and send me
a sample dbf file to test).

The dbf bug mentioned earlier seems to be solved and will be in a new
binary which I hope to put on the site today or tomorrow.

Thanks,

Moritz