[GRASS-dev] select issue with wingrass

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Nov 10 11:37:53 EST 2007

On 11/10/07 4:31 AM, "Moritz Lennert" <mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:

> On Sat, November 10, 2007 07:33, Michael Barton wrote:
>> Moritz,
>>
>> At least some of this was solved this afternoon by my very enterprising
>> RA.
>> It turns out that Javi was following the installation directions too
>> closely.
>>
>> He simply opened the zip file (in WinZip I think), and dragged the grass
>> folder onto his C: drive.
>>
>> This won't produce a complete working GRASS (though very confusing, it
>> will
>> produce an ALMOST working GRASS).
>>
>> Isaac, had Javi reinstall by expanding EVERYTHING in the zip file into C:.
>> Apparently, there are some hidden files that also need to get onto the C:
>> drive, and that don't get there by just dragging the grass folder from zip
>> file.
>>
>> Ultimately, the most reliable thing, I guess, would be to create a
>> self-extracting archive (*.exe). But maybe you understand what when wrong
>> (I
>> still don't know what is missing with the other installation method).
>
> I don't either. I tried both and the size of the two directories is
> exactly the same. And I don't see the error. Can Javie reproduce the
> problems by reinstalling via dragging from the zip ? Or maybe it was just
> something that went wrong during the install...

We tried installing twice the old way. Then when Isaac had him install the
other way, it worked. Isaac said that there were some files preceded by 2
dots (i.e., ..file) that *didn't* get copied the first times. He is guessing
that there are some Unix files that don't get installed properly under XP by
simply opening the zip file and dragging the content. It needs to be
completely unzipped.

>> Still haven't tested everything, but the file selection and some other
>> things work now (as of 3pm when I had to leave the lab). Hope to find out
>> if
>> v.in.db works too.
>
> Ok, keep me posted. If it still causes problems, let me know (and send me
> a sample dbf file to test).

Sure. Hope it's fixed.

> The dbf bug mentioned earlier seems to be solved and will be in a new
> binary which I hope to put on the site today or tomorrow.

That's great. Thanks. I'll if Javi wants to risk another installation ;-)

Michael

> Thanks,
>
> Moritz

Director of Graduate Studies