[GRASS-dev] X11 trouble on OSX 10.5

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sat Nov 10 20:32:09 EST 2007

On Nov 10, 2007, at 5:12 PM, Glynn Clements wrote:

> William Kyngesburye wrote:
>
>> But now there is another problem -
>> maybe OSX-specific. Togl can't find ANY _glX* symbols in libGL:
>>
>> Undefined symbols for architecture i386:
>>   "_glViewport", referenced from:
>>       _Togl_EventProc in togl.o
>>       _Togl_EventProc in togl.o
>>   "_glXChooseVisual", referenced from:
>>       _Togl_CreateWindow in togl.o
>>   "_glPixelStorei", referenced from:
>>       _Togl_DumpToEpsFile in togl.o
>>       _Togl_DumpToEpsFile in togl.o
>
> The first and last ones aren't GLX functions, they're standard OpenGL
> functions, so it isn't just GLX that's the problem.

Tired brain.  I saw a lot of glx in there (about a dozen or so more
that I didn't copy-n-paste).

>> Another issue with X11/Tcltk in Leopard - gis.m won't run.  I get an
>> error:
>>
>> GRASS 6.3.cvs (spearfish60):~ > X Error of failed request:  BadMatch
>> (invalid parameter attributes)
>>   Major opcode of failed request:  70 (X_PolyFillRectangle)
>>   Serial number of failed request:  2296
>>   Current serial number in output stream:  2337
>>
>> Maybe this is a problem with Tcltk 8.5?  Or the newer X11?  or both?
>> The error is meaningless to me, and there is no crash+crashlog to
>> help
>> figure it out.
>
> That can only be a Tk error. It's almost impossible to say what the
> problem is; BadMatch can mean just about anything:
>
>       BadMatch  Some argument or pair of arguments has the correct
> type and
>                 range but fails to match in some other way required
> by the
>                 request.
>
> IIRC, X_PolyFillRectangle corresponds to XFillRectangles, which most
> GUI toolkits use extensively.

More info, I forgot: the GUI splash displays just before this error.

Definitely something wrong in TclTk 8.5.  The GUI runs with 8.4
(32bits).

The reason I tried 8.5 is that 8.4 does not build 64bits on OSX
(configure actually removes any 64bit flags you try to add).  I
suppose the GUI itself doesn't need to run in 64bits, as long as the
modules are 64bits they will run as such.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Mon Dieu! but they are all alike.  Cheating, murdering, lying,
fighting, and all for things that the beasts of the jungle would not
deign to possess - money to purchase the effeminate pleasures of
weaklings.  And yet withal bound down by silly customs that make them
slaves to their unhappy lot while firm in the belief that they be the
lords of creation enjoying the only real pleasures of existence....

- the wisdom of Tarzan