[GRASS-dev] select issue with wingrass

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Mon Nov 12 14:48:00 EST 2007

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007, Benjamin Ducke wrote:

>> We received an error with the following simple mapcalc statements
>>
>> r.mapcalc 'frict=1'
>> r.mapcalc 'test=pendiente*2'
>>
>> It turns out that you cannot use single quotes in this context. You need to
>> use regular quotes. So the way to specify the same mapcalc statements from
>> the GUI command console is...
>>
>> r.mapcalc "frict=1"
>> r.mapcalc "test=pendiente*2"
>
> I can confirm this behaviour using Windows' cmd.exe shell. It does not
> seem to be able to handle single quotes correctly. But then again,
> cmd.exe is sth. very different from your regular unixish shell.

Yes it's nothing new. You need to know a bit more about Windows than just
how to point and click to be able to get the most out of GRASS I
suppose---we're moving away from that obviously - but it still helps.

ISTR around this time last year when we were fixing a lot of tedious
little things to improve Windows compatibility, having to change commands
run with system() or similar from within C programs to use double instead
of single quotes was quite a common problem. Hopefully most occurences
within C programs have been caught now but perhaps there are still some in
gis.m?

Paul