[GRASS-dev] GRASS cvs for Mac compilation fails for OS X 10.4

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Nov 17 12:23:42 EST 2007

OK. Figured it out. But it needs to be fixed somewhere in the make systems I
think.

In both my previous compile (of a few weeks ago) and the one I tried last
night and today, a copy of wish8.4 is put into the $GISBASE/bin folder.

In my older version (which worked fine), apparently this is launched when
the GUI system is launched.

In the new version, it tries to launch a symlink named "wish" instead of the
embedded wish8.4. There is no such symlink and it tries to run another
symlink on my system that is NOT linked to the correct version of TclTk
(I'll fix that locally, but it should not affect GRASS).

When I created a symlink named "wish" for the embedded wish8.4 all works
well.

So what has changed? Something is calling wish instead of wish8.4, but I
don't know what.

Michael

On 11/17/07 9:24 AM, "William Kyngesburye" <woklist at kyngchaos.com> wrote:

> On Nov 17, 2007, at 9:41 AM, Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> Here is the error.
>>
>> /Applications/Grass/GRASS-6.3.app/Contents/MacOS/scripts/gis.m: line
>> 17:
>> /Applications/Grass/GRASS-6.3.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/wish: No such
>> file or
>> directory
>> /Applications/Grass/GRASS-6.3.app/Contents/MacOS/scripts/gis.m: line
>> 17:
>> exec: /Applications/Grass/GRASS-6.3.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/wish:
>> cannot
>> execute: No such file or directory
>>
>> When I try to run wish, this is what I get
>>
>> wish
>> dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/X11R7/lib/libX11.6.dylib
>>  Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/libtk8.4.dylib
>>  Reason: image not found
>> Trace/BPT trap
>>

> Oh, that's bizarre.  Nothing to do with Leopard, though.  Things to
> check:
>
> - Is there a wish, or any tcltk libraries, in the newly-installed
> GRASS app package?
>
> - if not, were there any errors in the make (not install) stage?  try
> make inside the macosx folder.
>
> - where is your tcltk installed (from those many months ago)?  /usr/
> local/tcltk, as in my instructions?  And is this what you configured
> GRASS with? (just checking)
>
> - is there really a /usr/local/bin/wish and /usr/local/lib/libtcl and
> libtk?  Sounds like you may have installed some software that
> installed another copy of tcltk (which is broken because it's looking
> for /usr/local/X11R7).
>
> -----
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>
> "Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so."
>
> - Ford Prefect

Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University