[GRASS-dev] things to do before the 6.3.0 release

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 25 02:12:32 EST 2007

> Hamish wrote:
> > 2) d.vect default render mode in 6.3 has been changed to "l" from "g".
> > For me (using xmons) this creates poorly rendered polylines and lots
> > of bad artifacts in the "whitespace padding" at the edges.
> >
> > see examples here:
> >   http://bambi.otago.ac.nz/hamish/grass/bugs/d.vect/
> >
> >  (IIRC the min line width!=0 problem shown at the bottom of that page has
> > been corrected)
> >
> > Due to this I propose the default rendering should go back to "g" in the
> > 6.3.0 release branch.

Glynn:
> What's wrong with r, d and c?

see examples in above URL. (but wait 'til tomorrow; right now the server's down
due to electrical work in the building)

IIRC r and d's method of drawing polylines gives fuzzy results.

> g should only be used if none of the others can be made to work.

IIRC c is very close, AFAICT it is just the two white lines at the edges of the
map which are a problem.

> To get rid of the problem with render=l drawing beyond the edge of the
> region, d.vect needs to set the raster clip window (R_set_window()) to
> match the region (D_setup() sets it to match the frame), but it needs
> to be set back afterwards (D_setup(0) should suffice).

Does that cure the incorrect polygon filling too? (1/2 way down in above URL)

Is 'l' the absolute favorite, or is it a case of choosing the best compromise
from several near equals? In the quality vs. time tradeoff we must have minimum
standards for both variables. I wouldn't mind the other methods if the above
issues could be fixed. Right now I think they fail the minimum quality test.

> Also:
>
> 1. d.vect uses the same rendering mode for both fills and strokes,
> which isn't necessarily desirable.
>
> 2. There should probably be two polyline clipping functions. One which
> fills the gap where a section has been clipped out, and one which
> doesn't.

In what cases would you want clipped to be anything other than a full mask?
displaying a solid boundary line when there is not one there is dangerous.

Hamish