[GRASS-dev] things to do before the 6.3.0 release

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Nov 22 13:26:27 EST 2007

Hamish wrote:

> 2) d.vect default render mode in 6.3 has been changed to "l" from "g".
> For me (using xmons) this creates poorly rendered polylines and lots
> of bad artifacts in the "whitespace padding" at the edges.
>
> see examples here:
>   http://bambi.otago.ac.nz/hamish/grass/bugs/d.vect/
>
>  (IIRC the min line width!=0 problem shown at the bottom of that page has been corrected)
>
> Due to this I propose the default rendering should go back to "g" in the 6.3.0 release branch.

What's wrong with r, d and c?

g should only be used if none of the others can be made to work.

To get rid of the problem with render=l drawing beyond the edge of the
region, d.vect needs to set the raster clip window (R_set_window()) to
match the region (D_setup() sets it to match the frame), but it needs
to be set back afterwards (D_setup(0) should suffice).

Also:

1. d.vect uses the same rendering mode for both fills and strokes,
which isn't necessarily desirable.

2. There should probably be two polyline clipping functions. One which
fills the gap where a section has been clipped out, and one which
doesn't.