[GRASS-dev] [grass-code I][539] "Delete" or "remove" the name of g.remove?

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Nov 25 11:09:13 EST 2007

Maciek,

You are correct about the difference between the menu entry and command
name. This occurs in some other places as well.

In trying to shorten the menus and reduce nesting, I tried to find single
words (or a couple words) that would best convey the function to an audience
of users. Given the wording used in most software I've encountered, I felt
that more native English speakers who have some familiarity with computers
would recognize the function named "delete" better than one named "remove".

BUT this is based on a very non-systematic one-person review of software.

I have no problem with changing this if English-language users would better
recognize "remove". It should be whatever works best. The same thing goes
for translations into other languages. I've been less concerned with
matching menu entry names to GRASS module names (which have all kinds of
linguistically diverse histories) than trying to make GRASS functions
accessible to users.

>From my perspective, renaming the GRASS command to g.delete would make
better sense. However, we cannot do that until we switch to a new GRASS
version because it would break existing scripts.

Michael

On 11/25/07 2:13 AM, "Maciej Sieczka" <tutey at o2.pl> wrote:

> grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org wrote:
>
>> In GRASS 6.3.cvs the g.remove command (under Manage maps
>> and volumes) is named "delete".
>>
>> Shouldn't everything be either remove (g.remove, Remove a
>> map and the message in the Output GIS.m "Removing ... ")
>> or delete (g.delete, Delete a map and "Deleting ...) ?
>
> Anybody minds renaming the "Delete" entry in gis.m into
> "Remove"?
>
> Would "Remove" be really better?
>
> Maciek

Director of Graduate Studies