[GRASS-dev] another make problem (OSX, but could be a general problem)

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Oct 2 16:50:28 EDT 2007

William Kyngesburye wrote:

> > Is the "make" program GNU make? Does it come via Apple? Can you try
> > building GNU make from the stock source package and using that?
> >
> > Prerequisites listed to the right of "|" are "order-only"; if
> > necessary, they will be built before the target, but they won't cause
> > the target to be re-compiled.
> >
> > If you're using something other than GNU make (which includes modified
> > versions if the modifications make a difference), then I can't really
> > help. I would rather not unconditionally run mkdir for every object
> > file if it's an issue with one particular make program.
> >
> OSX Tiger/GCC 4 uses GNU Make 3.80.  It doesn't look like Apple
> modified it (like they have for other stuff).

I have 3.81, and that's the only version for which I can find online
documentation.

Can you check the 3.80 documentation to ensure that order-only
prerequisites are mentioned? They should be described in:

	4 Writing Rules
	4.3 Types of Prerequisites

Other than that, I can only suggest re-building a directory with make
debugging enabled (make -d ...). It can generate a lot of output, so
pick the smallest case which demonstrates the problem (e.g. a module
with only one source file).