[GRASS-dev] another make problem (OSX, but could be a general problem)

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu Oct 4 10:27:03 EDT 2007

On Oct 4, 2007, at 6:53 AM, Glynn Clements wrote:

> William Kyngesburye wrote:
>
>>> Note the vertical bar is missing from yours. Can you try the same
>>> thing with a module (which doesn't re-compile everything)?
>>
>> It's also missing the pipe:
>
> It's missing, but that case *doesn't* recompile everything? Ugh; this
> is getting confusing.

Indeed, very strange.  Odd that it took them 4 years to release 3.81
with that fixed.

>> I preceded the pipe with a backslash in Rules.make - now it keeps the
>> pipe and libraries aren't recompiled.  But, this doesn't work in
>> 3.81, so it doesn't look like a usable solution.
>
> Okay, how about this:
>
> # default cc rules
> ifeq ($(MAKE_VERSION),3.81)
> $(OBJDIR)/%.o : %.c $(LOCAL_HEADERS) | $(OBJDIR)
> 	$(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(EXTRA_CFLAGS) $(NLS_CFLAGS) $(EXTRA_INC) $(INC) \
> 		-o $(OBJDIR)/$*.o -c $*.c
> else
> $(OBJDIR)/%.o : %.c $(LOCAL_HEADERS)
> 	$(MAKE) $(OBJDIR)
> 	$(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(EXTRA_CFLAGS) $(NLS_CFLAGS) $(EXTRA_INC) $(INC) \
> 		-o $(OBJDIR)/$*.o -c $*.c
> endif
>
> ?
>
> This is less than ideal, as it will revert to the old form for 3.82,
> but I can't think of a simple way to check for >= 3.81 (especially
> considering that the version might not actually be a number, e.g.
> 3.81-r1 or similar).

That works, but ugly and doesn't cover the future is probably not
what we want to do. (I saw some .1 versions in the make downloads)

I'd be happy with the unconditional pipe and recommending to
developers to upgrade their make and not worrying about the 1-shot
user builds.

Markus: have you been following this?  What's your make version, and
does your linux package manager have a new version?  Or is it
otherwise easily updated?

I wonder what version other linux distros are at?

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

[Trillian]  What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed
robot?

[Marvin]  You think you have problems?  What are you supposed to do
if you ARE a maniacally depressed robot?  No, don't try and answer,
I'm 50,000 times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the
answer...

- HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy