[GRASS-dev] another make problem (OSX, but could be a general problem)

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Oct 7 11:13:50 EDT 2007

Hamish wrote:

> > Indeed, very strange.  Odd that it took them 4 years to release 3.81
> > with that fixed.
>
> I'd be a bit surprised if there a make bug could survive for that long which
> wasn't widely known and we happened to be one of the few software builds
> affected by it.

There are a lot of features in GNU make which aren't widely used. E.g.
anything which isn't used by the Makefiles which automake generates
won't affect most FOSS software, and a lot of non-automake software
tries to work with other make programs.

> > I'd be happy with the unconditional pipe and recommending to
> > developers to upgrade their make and not worrying about the 1-shot
> > user builds.
>
> Maybe not as much for Mac-land, but for othe UNIXs worrying about self compiles
> is a big deal.

The issue is with re-compilation. Unnecessary rebuilding isn't a
problem for a "one-shot" build (configure;make;make install;make clean).