[GRASS-dev] OSX FFMPEG build instructions available

Bob Covill bcovill at tekmap.ns.ca
Mon Oct 22 19:02:57 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 19:54 +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:
> William Kyngesburye wrote:
>
> > I finally got back to FFMPEG on OSX.  It went fairly smooth this
> > time.  I added build instructions to the GRASS OSX readme.  My future
> > OSX builds will now have ffmpeg support, yay!
> >
> > Question: what is the minimum needed in the ffmpeg libraries for
> > GRASS?  I'm thinking of disabling codecs and formats that GRASS can't
> > use to reduce the library size (a basic universal build without debug
> > symbols added ~6.5MB to libgrass_ogsf!).  Or can GRASS use any codec
> > available in ffmpeg?
>
> It only uses MPEG-1. There's a compile-time option to use XviD, but
> that gives you a "raw" XviD stream (no AVI etc container), which isn't
> much use.

I have attached a patch for gsd_img_mpeg.c (ogsf) which is based on the
later releases of ffmpeg (output_example.c). This uses a function
guess_format to guess the format based upon the file extension given. If
the format is unknown it reverts to mpeg1. With this patch you can save
to any (almost) format supported by ffmpeg. For example you can save to
asf, avi, flv, swf, etc. To use this with nviz the auto name extension
in panel_kanimator.tcl will have to be commented out ...

#       if { [string compare $fnameExt ".mpg"] != 0  &&
#               [string compare $fnameExt ".mpeg"] != 0 } then {
#           append keyanimBaseName ".mpg"
#       }

The patch needs testing, etc.

Let me know if you have any questions.

--