[GRASS-dev] Re: problem with G_fatal_error

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Oct 24 16:53:06 EDT 2007

Martin Dobias wrote:

> > Would it be possible to make a list of all GRASS lib functions that
> > QGIS calls directly, then look through them and make modified copies
> > of everyone that needs a different error handler (maybe putting them
> > altogether into a "GRASS_gui_handler" lib or sth. like that)?
>
> Even better would be to make a list of GRASS functions which could end
> with fatal error. Now it's fixed only for that particular know case
> where it was terminating QGIS, but I guess there might be more such
> functions...

The list would be most of GRASS.

E.g. G_malloc() calls G_fatal_error() if malloc() fails (although you
probably can't handle that case anyhow). Anything which uses the
environment (database, location, mapset, etc) will fail if $GISRC
isn't set, can't be opened, doesn't contain correct data, etc.

It might (literally) be simpler to list functions which can't call
G_fatal_error().